Basketball is more than just a sport – it’s a way of life. Players live and breathe the game, and nothing beats the fun of summertime hoops at the park.
I remember summers spent at the local park, hanging out with buddies and hooping for hours on end.
Ahhh, those were the days…
Sorry for the daydream. I’m back now. I’m so back. I even have some info that you may be interested in, dear hooper.
I’ve researched and tested out the best outdoor basketball shoes on the market to bring you my top picks.
Way of Wade Son of Flash
With outsoles made for outdoor courts and high-quality materials that offer support and reduce wear and tear, these are the top picks for any hooper who finds himself spending a lot of time on outdoor courts!
Best for Wide Feet
New Balance Two WXY v3
Here’s a perfect shoe for the wide footers out there who love to hoop on outdoor courts. Great traction paired with room in the toe box? You can’t go wrong.
Best Under $100
Nike Fly By Mid 3
Hooping outdoors on a budget? Check out these shoes from Nike for a great court feel that doesn’t hurt the pocketbook.
Shall we get to the picks?
Let’s get to the picks.
Read on to find the basketball shoes that will keep you playing so well for so long you’ll have to call your mom to let her know you’ll be home late for dinner.
If you purchase through our partner links, we get paid for the referral at no additional cost to you! For more information, visit my disclosure page.
There’s a difference between good outdoor basketball shoes and the best outdoor basketball shoes.
One word can make all the difference.
Take a gander at the list below for the best outdoor basketball shoes this year.
The Way of Wade Son of Flash is numero uno on this list of the best outdoor basketball shoes, not just because it is stylish but because of its commitment to developing a specifically outdoor basketball shoe that is exceptional for those primarily playing outdoors. That’s right; these were made for those who go to their local park to serve buckets to their neighbors, which makes it the best outdoor basketball shoe of the year. Check out our Way of Wade Son of Flash performance review.
- Flash-shaped TPU for anti-torsion that allows you to cut like “The Flash” himself.
- TUFF OS outsole for strong durability and traction, helping you not to trip over that line on the court.
- BOOM and CLOUD cushioning that makes you want to keep wearing them long after the game is over.
- Comes in 3 colorways so you can always match.
It’s difficult not to put shoes literally made for outdoor basketball in the top spot. These are the best outdoor basketball shoes of the year hands down. One thing to consider is there is little to be desired in the BOOM cushioning from Way of Wade in general. It simply doesn’t suit bigger players like a full-length setup does. I you’re a big man looking for a pair of shoes, check out this article on the best basketball shoes for centers. They may wear quicker for bigs. It is also recommended to buy half a size larger than normal.
I talk about these shoes in the best basketball shoes for 2023, and here they are again. The reason they’re here on this list of the best outdoor basketball shoes is because of their durability. Unlike most basketball shoes, these things can take a beating while playing outdoors and keep going for longer than any other outdoor basketball shoe. Check out our Adidas Dame Certified performance review.
- Lightweight Bounce midsole for elevated cushioning to make you feel like you’re walking on clouds on your way to the hoop.
- Breathable upper to keep them lightweight so you can run all day long.
- Especially good shoe for flat-footed hoopers.
- The comfort is there as soon as you take them out of the box for a shorter break in time.
- Great grip and traction on the court.
I do like these shoes a lot and they’ve shown up in a few reviews for this year already. One caveat is that they do run a bit narrow. I would not recommend this shoe for basketball players with wide feet unless you want to bust right out of your shoes like Calvin Cambridge. Solid pickup and a great overall outdoor basketball shoe.
High-quality traction and a comfortable upper make this a high-quality outdoor basketball shoe. Just make sure you know how to clean basketball shoes and take the pebbles out from the grooves when you’re done. Check out our New Balance Two WXY v3 performance review.
- FuelCell foam delivers a propulsive feel for more explosion on the hardwood.
- ABZORB pillars at the heel and forefoot absorb impact and let you run without worrying about running out of your shoes.
- Molded textile upper for more comfortability on the rougher outdoor courts.
- Midfoot TPU shank provides torsional rigidity in the shoe – in layman’s terms… it’s snug as a bug no matter the movement.
One drawback is the fact that you’ll have to overcome some New Balance jokes here and there. But you’re a strong individual – you can handle it. By the way, you’ll be wearing some of the best outdoor basketball shoes out there so you can let your game do the talking while the other guys are getting winded by running their mouths.
If you’re a wide-footed hooper, check out our list of the best basketball shoes for wide feet this year!
Here’s yet another pair of basketball shoes in a long list of Nike outdoor basketball shoes. Great cushioning on this shoe allows for longer play and above-the-rim action. This is not just a pair of indoor basketball shoes. There’s a reason Nike is at the top of the game, and this is it. Check out why these are on the list of best outdoor basketball shoes of the year. Check out our Nike KD 15 performance review.
- Full-length Nike Zoom Air Strobel that supports hoopers both big and small and helps these puppies last longer than any other.
- Locked in wing laces for better foot security so you don’t turn your ankle.
- Fewer materials on the upper for less break in time so you can get out on the court faster.
- “EASY” rubber outsole allows for traction in every step that helps prevent your feet from getting stuck in the mud.
A very good pair of basketball shoes and amongst the best outdoor basketball shoes this year. The cost of fewer materials on the upper part of the basketball shoe may cause tears here and there if you’re playing a lot of ball, but that’s the price of being a lightweight basketball shoe. It totally makes up for it in the Nike Zoom Air Strobel that will support your feet through thick and thin. An excellent pair of both indoor and outdoor basketball shoes to add to the rotation.
The Adidas D.O.N Issue #4 is a game-changer on and off the court. Built for agility and style, it boasts a lightweight and breathable upper for maximum comfort. The responsive cushioning technology ensures explosive energy return with every step. Designed in collaboration with Donovan Mitchell, this shoe features a unique colorway and signature details. Elevate your game with the Adidas D.O.N Issue #4. Check out our Adidas DON Issue 4 performance review.
- Lightweight and breathable upper for enhanced comfort during intense gameplay
- Responsive cushioning technology for explosive energy return and optimal performance
- Unique colorway and signature details designed in collaboration with Donovan Mitchell
- Durable construction for long-lasting wear, built to withstand the demands of the game
- Traction pattern on the outsole for exceptional grip and agility on any surface
- Lace-up closure for a secure and customizable fit
- Padded collar and tongue for added support and cushioning
The Adidas D.O.N. Issue #4 is a top-performing basketball shoe known for its excellent containment, lockdown, and traction. While it offers great comfort, some users have mentioned potential issues with the foam bottoming out over time.
This is a really solid pair of budget outdoor basketball shoes for those looking for a cheaper option. This outdoor basketball shoe allows you to take your place on the court with little investment. These basketball shoes offer a lot of support, especially in the ankle, and will hold up during long runs outside in the sun.
- Mesh upper with synthetic overlays is lightweight and breathable – those things need to breathe here and there, right?
- Padded ankle and tongue for extra support.
- Full lace closure to keep them snug as a bug in a rug.
- Foam midsole offers cushioning and response so you can fly higher than the rest.
- Rubber outsole keeps you stuck to the court (not literally).
These basketball shoes are the best outdoor basketball shoes for those on a bit more of a budget. While these shoes are inexpensive, they are not cheap.
If you’re looking for more cheap shoes, check out our best cheap basketball shoes post.
The Nike Precision 6 is the perfect shoe for the modern athlete. With its lightweight and breathable design, it offers unparalleled comfort and flexibility. The responsive cushioning technology provides excellent energy return, while the durable outsole ensures superior traction on any surface. Elevate your performance with the Nike Precision 6.
- Lightweight and breathable mesh upper for maximum comfort and ventilation during intense workouts
- Dynamic Fit system that wraps around the midfoot for a secure and supportive fit
- Phylon foam midsole for responsive cushioning and impact absorption, providing a comfortable ride
- Rubber outsole with multi-directional traction pattern for enhanced grip on various surfaces
- Padded collar and tongue for added comfort and ankle support
- Lace-up closure for a snug and customizable fit
- Sleek and stylish design with Nike branding for a modern look
The Nike Precision 6 basketball shoes are designed for quick players, offering the ability to shift speeds and change directions effortlessly. One of the pros of these shoes is their lightweight and breathable upper that keeps your feet cool during intense gameplay. However, some users have noted that the grip and traction could be improved.
While durability, stability, and traction are essential for indoor games (and on the dance floor), they become vitally crucial for outdoor basketball games, where the chance of injury is higher. (Insert frowning emoji.)
Not having the right shoes suited for outdoor hoops can be harmful.
Not having the right shoes can be like skating on unzambonied ice with dull skates.
Not having the right shoes can be like playing tennis in a pair of flip-flops.
You want to have the right shoes.
Sometimes, it’s hard to find the right shoes, which is why yours truly made a list of shoes so you don’t have to pore over hundreds and hundreds of shoe sites to find the right ones.
That’s my job.
The list of best outdoor basketball shoes above excels in these facets and then some. A solid pair of outdoor basketball can really put you above the competition.
When it comes to basketball shoes, the options are endless.
Walk into your local Dick’s sporting goods, and you’ll see what I’m talking about.
But with so many choices on the market, finding the perfect pair for outdoor play can be challenging. It can also be a major waste of time if you don’t know where to look.
That’s why I researched, tested, and reviewed the best pairs of outdoor basketball shoes for this year.
Nothing beats heading to the park with your buddies and playing for hours and hours in the sun. The only sucky part is those double rims…
So save your money from having to buy multiple pairs and pick up one of the reviewed ones above. You won’t be sorry.
Is It Normal to Wear Basketball Shoes Outside?
Great, thanks, Mark.
Hold on, hear me out.
Some people choose to wear basketball shoes casually. This is common with Jordans.
I don’t recommend wearing basketball shoes you plan on playing in casually. They’ll wear down extremely fast, and you’ll find yourself looking for new shoes quickly.
Do I Really Need A Pair of Outdoor Basketball Shoes?
I’ll answer your question, my dear hooper, with a question.
Will you be playing basketball outside?
If yes, then yes. If no, then no. Got it? Good.
I’m not just saying things to say things.
Trust me, I don’t like fluff.
Straight questions get straight answers, and if you plan on playing basketball outside, you need to get a pair of outdoor basketball shoes.
Is there a difference between indoor and outdoor basketball shoes?
Yes, there are several key differences between indoor and outdoor basketball shoes.
Outdoor basketball shoes often have more rigid and thicker outsoles than indoor basketball shoes. This provides added durability and protection against rough outdoor surfaces, such as concrete or asphalt.
Indoor basketball shoes, on the other hand, are designed for playing on smooth indoor surfaces, like hardwood courts. Their outsoles may be made of softer rubber or synthetic materials that offer better traction on indoor floors.
Indoor basketball shoes often have less cushioning compared to outdoor shoes. This is because indoor courts provide more shock absorption, so players don’t require as much cushioning in their shoes. Outdoor basketball shoes often have additional cushioning to compensate for the more brutal impact on outdoor surfaces.
Indoor basketball shoes focus more on stability and support, using materials that provide a snug fit and excellent lateral support. Outdoor basketball shoes prioritize durability and resistance to wear and tear, often featuring reinforced toe caps and more robust materials.
It’s worth noting that while outdoor basketball shoes can be used indoors, indoor shoes may not perform as well on outdoor courts due to their less durable construction. I’d recommend using outdoor basketball shoes when playing outside for performance and longevity.